Special Purpose Visa
Specific Purpose Visas are required for those who wish to travel to Bolivia for any purpose other than Tourism.
A Specific Purpose Visa is required by those who intend to engage in business, education, paid work, to get married according to Bolivian law and any other legal activities not related to tourism.
Specific Purpose Visas have a validity of 30 days and are renewable, after submitting a request for extension to the immigration office in Bolivia. When applying for one, an introduction letter is required which should state the specific purpose of the travel, the dates of travel, and that the expenses will be furnished by the sending or hosting company or institution. These requirements apply to business executives, film crews, missionaries, voluntary workers, etc.
For certain nationalities authorization from the Immigration authorities in Bolivia is required, in which case the application takes longer to be processed. It is recommended to allow at least 2 to 3 weeks prior to departure.
Applications can be made during the office hours (Mon - Fri 09:00 am - 5:00 pm) which can also be made by mail. It is recommended to use the safest way to send your passport, either registered delivery or courier. The costs of delivery are met by the applicant and no responsibility is taken by the Embassy if the passport gets lost in the post.
- Letter of introduction explaining purpose of travel, means of subsistence and information on the company or institution
- Completed APPLICATION FORM
- Valid passport or travel document with a minimum validity of 6 months li>
- One recent 2" x 2" passport type photograph, without glasses, white background.
- The Specific Purpose visa has a fee of 85.00.- U$ (american dollars) can be paid by money order or certified check payable to the Bolivian Embassy. * If you apply at the Honorary Consulate of Montreal, the Money Order should be payable to Consulat de Bolivie – Montreal.
- Itinerary or copy of the airline ticket (round trip ticket)
- Certificate of Police Record
- It is required the international yellow fever shot, depending on the place of visit.
- Bank statement or equivalent that shows economic solvency
(Please note that the validity of the document should be for at least the travel period). Parent's or Legal Guardian's Economic Solvency documents are accepted for underage applicants.
- Procedure usually takes 2 – 3 working days from the date we receive your documents.
- We do not cover mailingservices or shipping costs, so please enclose a pre-paid self addressed envelope.